- Summer Social – Saturday 7th July
- Surrey Age Group Spring Meet – Weekend 1 Report
- Regional Championships 2018
- Squad Reps for Summer Term 2018
- Surrey Age Group Spring Meet 2018
- Woking SC 9th Octopus B/C Grade Meet 20/05/2018
- Crawley Spring Open Level 1 6-8 April 2018
- Windsor Level 3 Regional Chaser Meet 10/03/18
- 2018 Spring Term Dates, Schedules and Key Competition Dates Now Published
- Surrey County Championships 2018
The Progression Route through Woking Swimming Club
Woking Swimming Club is a friendly and successful competitive swimming club based in Woking, Surrey. We are affiliated and accredited under the Amateur Swimming Association, Swim 21 programme as a Skill Development Club.
Our aim is to develop sportsmanship, comradeship, promoting competitive swimming as a healthy sport. We cater for all types of competitive swimmer from beginner through to national swimmers, helping individuals reach their own potential and goals.
The Learn 2 Swim School
During 2011, the Club launched our Learn2Swim school, run independently, and managed by the committee and members of Woking Swimming Club. The Swim School, working in partnership of Woking Borough Council, acts as an external feeder programme that provides young potential competitive swimmers to our Associate Membership programme of the swimming club as well as a learn to swim school for the local community.
The Club’s Associate membership is highly recognised for developing the technique of younger swimmers through all four competitive strokes and introducing longer distances to their swimming ready for competitive swimming.
Associate groups consist of Associate levels 1 – 8
Swimmers ages range from 5 years to ~9 years old.
Entry into the associate group is by assessment of our experienced coaches. A child can gain entry to the club at any of these levels and is subject to:
• Ability to swim 15m on their front and back whilst holding a reasonable technique
• Availability of space
The club runs trials nights three times a year and these trials are open to all members of the public between these ages that meet the criteria.
Following a trial, if successful, swimmers are offered Associate Membership with a weekly class (some groups twice weekly) in the teaching pool. If the swimmer is not yet ready for Associate membership then they are directed to the Learn 2 Swim programme.
Associate teaching sessions are held at Woking Pool in the Park in the small pool (some associate 1 and 2 groups are based at Goldsworth or Horsell School pools). Swimmers can expect to make an increasing commitment as their ability improves and they progress into competitive swimming as Full Members.
The Associates sessions are aimed at improving the quality and technique of strokes – the objectives are to:
- Break down each stroke into its component part and provide a technical grounding
- Refine each stroke, breathing patterns, head position and turns
- Introduce diving from the side and blocks
- Prepare swimmers for the transition from teaching to coaching and develop the stamina required for competition in the 25 metre pool
- Introduce competitive swimming via the Diddy Championships
The Associate members range from 5 to 9 years of age, with varying levels of ability. Progression through the Associate classes is generally based on progress in the acquisition of skills and the competitive needs of the Club. If progression is not being made then the Club reserves the right not to offer further periods of tuition and/or direct the swimmer back to Learn 2 swim. It is essential that swimmers acquire good stroke technique in front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke before progression to stamina and speed work in the main pool.
Swimmers should demonstrate:
- Commitment to Swimming through regular attendance
- Ability to progress through the levels
- Continuous development thereby showing good signs of mastering what is being taught
- Good level of behaviour both in and out of the poo
- Good listening and response skills
Parents are notified when the swimmer is ready to move onto the next level by their coach.
It should be noted that not all good swimmers make confident competitive swimmers. Each swimmers progress is tracked and measured, and if it is felt that a swimmer has potential to be a confident and competent club and competitive swimmer they will be invited to become full members and be offered a place in either the competitive or performance stream. The offer of Full Membership is not guaranteed.
Once stroke and technique has been mastered, a swimmer may progress to an appropriate squad according to their age, ability and attitude. As they progress and improve they are moved through the squads by agreement amongst the Coaches, who will bear in mind the competitive needs of the Club.